Permanent Mission of India
328th Session of the ILO Governing Body
(October 31-November 10, 2016)
Institutional Section – INS/9
Follow-up to the resolution concerning remaining measures on the subject of Myanmar adopted by the Conference of its 102nd Session (2013) – 8.11.2016
Statement by H.E. Mr. Ajit Kumar, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of India
to UN Office and other International Organizations
Thank you Chairperson,
We thank the Office for the background document on this agenda item and take note of the update provided on the development of a framework for future ILO engagement in Myanmar.
2. The report notes a number of positive steps taken by the new government in Myanmar including steps towards enactment of new labour laws for strengthening its national efforts towards elimination of forced labour and promotion of freedom of association.
3. Myanmar has demonstrated its willingness to strengthen social dialogue and adopt a broad and comprehensive approach to increase opportunities for decent employment to achieve the ultimate objective of eliminating forced labour. We appreciate constructive engagement between Myanmar and ILO and their desire to expand cooperation to include technical assistance to support Myanmar's ongoing labour reform process.
4. We support establishing an ILO Country Office in consultation with the Government of Myanmar and the proposed framework for future ILO engagement with Myanmar consistent with that. We also welcome the further extension of the Supplementary Understanding between the Government of Myanmar and the ILO that was signed on 7 November 2016.
5. ILO and the international community should continue to support the new government of Myanmar in its efforts to strengthen employment and labour market policies to achieve the overall economic and social policy objectives of Myanmar.
6. We wish the government of Myanmar all success in its endeavours.
I thank you.